Three Rivers Market Product Standards by Department
Fresh, organic, local
Three Rivers Market maintains close relationships with local and regional farmers to provide the best-tasting, freshest produce possible. Seasonal produce at fair prices is emphasized to keep costs low and reduce waste. Even when local organic and local naturally grown produce is not available, certified organic produce is always offered in volumes that ensure freshness and minimize waste.
We work closely with our local flower vendors to provide a unique seasonal selection of fresh-cut flowers farmed without the use of pesticides, herbicides or fungicides. Our growers focus on sustainability and chemical free farming to help build soil and support local wildlife and pollinator populations.
Freshest taste, finest ingredients
Organic grains, beans, pasta, and nuts are used in Three Rivers Market’s deli recipes. Oils are always cold or expeller pressed, free of chemical preservatives, and certified non-GMO. Unless otherwise noted, all of the vegetables in our dishes are organic as well. We use absolutely no artificial flavorings, preservatives or colors. All Three Rivers Market deli-made dishes are free of hydrogenated oils, artificial transfats, and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). To ensure quality, most deli items are freshly made using many local and seasonal ingredients. They can be easily identified by shelf tags that state, “Made In House”.
MEAT and poultry
Pastured, free-range, humane
Three Rivers Market offers natural or organic meat products from farms and companies committed to humane farm animal care.
All Three Rivers Market meat is from pastured or free-range animals. All meat products must meet the following criteria to be sold by Three Rivers Market:
- No use of sub-therapeutic antibiotics or growth-promoting hormones
- No feed containing animal by-products
- No artificial food colorings or preservatives
- No meat or dairy from cloned animals or their offspring
All beef and ruminant meat products must meet the criteria above and additionally, must come from animals raised on a 100% vegetarian diet.
Delicious seafood, healthy oceans
Three Rivers Market uses the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch Program recommendations, which rates seafood choices according to environmental criteria including the method used to catch the fish and whether the species is abundant or endangered or threatened by over fishing. Most of the seafood sold by Three Rivers Market is rated “Green, A Best Choice” or “Yellow, A Good Alternative.”
We do not knowingly purchase or sell genetically engineered seafood. Additionally, no Canadian seafood is sold at Three Rivers Market while the commercial seal slaughter continues in Canada.
GROCERY, Dairy, bulk
All natural, delicious choices
Three Rivers Market grocery buyers give preference to healthy, organic, fairly-traded, and local grocery items packaged in an environmentally responsible way and to products with labels stating they are not genetically modified and not irradiated. Three Rivers Market grocery products are free of artificial preservatives, colors, and sweeteners. Three Rivers Market grocery products contain no hydrogenated oils, added trans-fat, or high fructose corn syrup.
- EGGS – Three Rivers Market only sells eggs from hens that are raised cage-free, with a preference for pasture-raised hens. Preference is also given to eggs from local, family-owned, and certified organic farms. The sub-therapeutic use of antibiotics is prohibited. Certified organic eggs come from hens raised on certified organic feed.
- MILK AND CHEESE – Three Rivers Market supports natural, organic, and humane dairy production methods. Three Rivers Market offers only dairy products — including fresh milk, yogurt, butter, sour cream, cheese, ice cream, and kefir — that are produced without the use of artificial growth hormones including rBGH.
Bold, rich, responsible
All coffee sold at Three Rivers Market must meet 2 of the following criteria:
- Certified Organic
- Certified Fair Trade
- Certifiable Direct Trade
- Co-op Business Roasted/Sold
- East Tennessee Roasted/Sold
- Bioregional Business Roasted/Sold
- Certified Rainforest Alliance, Bird-Friendly, or similar certification
All pet food sold at Three Rivers Market is safe and healthy for your animals and produced by socially responsible companies.
High quality, great selection, superb flavor
Three Rivers Market supports local breweries and those owned and operated by small, independent producers who emphasize integrity and quality. Every effort is made to offer a wide range of choices for every budget. We allow non-organic ciders with the following preservatives:
- – Potassium Bisulfite
- – Potassium Metabisulfite
- – Sulfites
- – Sulfur Dioxide
Naturally safe and soothing
Three Rivers Market believes that what we put on our bodies is as important as what we eat. To ensure the highest levels of quality and purity, all skin, facial, and body care products sold by Three Rivers Market must meet the following criteria:
- Free of artificial fragrances and dyes
- Environmentally responsible packaging
- Free of parabens and phthalates
Safe and effective
Three Rivers Market offers a wide variety of nutritional supplements, including supplements sold under the Three Rivers Market brand label. Each product is evaluated individually, beginning with raw materials, to ensure great quality and purity. All of the products sold at Three Rivers Market must comply with specific requirements:
- No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners
- Backed by reliable research that supports claims concerning the product’s purity
- Adequately labeled, listing ingredients and recommended use as required by law
A Note about Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs):
A Note about Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs):
We recognize that consumers expect natural and organic products to be free of GMOs and are endeavoring to meet that expectation to the best of our ability. Therefore we are no longer accepting new non-organic food products that include GMO high-risk items (listed below) in their ingredient list, unless they are enrolled in the Non-GMO Project or can provide us a detailed description of measures taken to avoid GMO contamination. We will also prioritize body care items, pet supplies, and general merchandise that do not contain genetically modified ingredients.
- Corn (except popcorn)
- Sugar beet
- Zucchini and yellow summer squash