How to Shop Bulk
Why Shop Bulk?
Shopping the bulk section is a great way to eat better, save money, and cut down on disposable packaging. We’re always happy to answer questions about our products, so if you’re wondering about trying some red quinoa or a new type of spice just ask a knowledgeable Three Rivers Market employee.
What You’ll Find
These are just some of the high quality organic and conventional products you’ll find in the bulk section at Three Rivers Market: Fairly Traded coffee and teas, granola, nuts, whole grains, beans, flours, gluten-free flours, soup mixes, candy, culinary herbs and spices, medicinal herbs, and more.
We cannot guarantee that bulk items, either in bins or prepackaged, are free of allergens, even if no allergen is listed as an ingredient.
Tips for Shopping the Bulk Section
- Check your cupboard or pantry before you come to see what you’ve got and what you need. Bring your clean airtight containers to fill.
- If you’re using your own containers from home, bring them by the customer service desk before you fill them to get the tare weight. We will deduct the weight of your container from the cost of your goods.
- Find the item you want and write down its PLU (Price Look Up) number on a dot sticker or on one of our wide label twist ties.
- When filling from a container with a spout, be sure your bag or container is fully around the mouth. Pull the handle slowly so only a small amount is released at a time. If you do spill something—don’t panic—but do tell someone at the Member and Customer Service desk.
- Always use the scoops or tongs provided. Never stick your hands directly into the bin. Please help us by teaching your children not to reach into the bins. If you’d like to sample a product, please see a staff member.
- Product Labeling: Organic products are labeled in blue while conventional products are labeled in green. In the case of mixes or processed products (like flavored nuts or candy) the ingredients will be listed on the label.
- If you’d like to order a large quantity of a product we will be happy to help you order it. Please see the Member and Customer Service desk to place an order. Members get 10% off of these volume purchases.
- For more tips, check out these videos from strongertogether.coop.